Hurricane resistant garage doors
Garage doors are the largest and most venerable single opening in a home.
Statistics show that a blown in garage door is a leading cause of hurricane wind entry into a house resulting in roof blow-off, water intrusion, catastrophic damage and loss of life. Standard homes seldom include garage doors that prevent this from happening.
Durability and safety are fundamental features of green homes which is why they include hurricane resistant garage doors and windows.
Hurricane-resistant garage doors include the below features:
- Heavy duty rollers – to keep the doors on track.
- Heavy duty springs – to withstand force and pressure.
- Steel panel bracing system – to prevent extreme punching and pulling effects of wind.
- Steel frame reinforcement system – to create a monolithic wind barrier.
- Commercial grade weather-stripping – to prevent air intrusion from getting a foothold.
- Interlocking tongue & groove panel joints – for impact resistance.
- 24 gauge steel skin – for overall strength.
- Reinforced heavy duty steel side tracks – to prevent doors from buckling.
- Rugged heavy gauge end stiles – to prevent doors from warping and twisting.
- Superior fastening system – to maintain the overall integrity of the doors.
Good quality hurricane resistant garage doors are usually fitted with polyurethane spray foam insulation which reduces temperatures in the garage. This in turn helps to keep interiors cooler, and air conditioners working less, which save energy and maintenance costs. These are great green home benefits.
From a wind mitigation standpoint and the fact that they also provide a fire barrier, qualifying hurricane resistant garage doors can afford homeowners hazard insurance discounts.
To determine what these discounts are, homeowners order a Uniform Mitigation Verification from an approved inspector the results of which allow insurance companies to quote.
Where can you see hurricane resistant garage doors in action?
Hurricane resistant garage doors can be seen in some of our green home models. If you would like us to direct you to our nearest model where you will be able to see, touch and feel this green technology, please contact us and we will respond to assist you.
Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment below and then check out the rest of our BLOG. We look forward to making Green Home living your reality.
Marius J Smook – Licensed Real Estate Eco-Broker, LEED AP for HOMES, Home Energy Rater.